Friday 9 March 2012

Dating

As a single parent we face many challenges when it comes to dating, from choosing the right time for us through to logistics for babysitting. It’s a different ball game when you have children at home, no matter what their ages are and from what I’m learning the challenges are far and wide.

I’ve been preparing my younger kids for the last year or so that I am ready to get out there and make friends, be around more single adults and enjoy my old and new friends. Till I actually done something about it I don’t think my daughter took any notice…regardless of the long face when the subject came up! While I am not looking for anyone I understand all too well how someone slips into your life when you least expect it, so it’s easier for me to just not think about it. I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a guy or two that I think isn’t quite cute or sweet but that is the length of it for me.

But I have been on a date this last week and boy did it cause a negative reaction in my house! Maybe it was timing, maybe it’s insecurity or maybe it’s because my daughter hasn’t had enough time with me and is very unsure how it will work for her.  She has always been the one that has preferred me to be single, even more so than my oldest son who really struggled with me dating anyone but he would always complete his thinking and find a way to accept it. I don’t necessarily date idiots, just some of them are not child friendly and therefore don’t know how to include my kids into their lives and that swiftly ends the dating. On the other hand, I don’t want a father for my children but someone who is willing to lead and guide them as if they were his own. Charley is the one who has a check list for a father…I think that in itself has put me off…the pressure of meeting those requirements is horrendous!! Lol

Either way sometimes I just wish I could go out, let my hair down and just be ‘Debs’ for a few hours.

If/when a date #2 happens I’ll probably have more to say…but till then I’d be interested to hear what others think.

Debs

No comments:

 
;